Sunday 4 September 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JENNIFER B WHITE







1)      What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Jennifer B. White—author, screenwriter and Hollywood tagline writer.  I was born and bred in New England, but I’m bicoastal now—I live and write near Boston, Massachusetts, when I’m not in North Hollywood, California working on movies.
2)      What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
The Witch and the Devil’s Son, a YA Crossover, is currently available to readers who enjoy a fast-paced story with elements of magic and the supernaturalhttp://www.amazon.com/Witch-Devils-Son-Jennifer-White/dp/0759675538/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315077329&sr=8-1
Melody is a witch who becomes dangerously drawn to Van Masterson.  She’s unaware of his dark past and what he’ll do to become the Devil’s Son.
3)      Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
A sequel to The Witch and the Devil’s Son is forthcoming.  I have three more books that are being launched in the next two months: Dead AsleepOtherwise (both cross-genre adult fiction with supernatural elements) and Hummus for the Holidays (a coming-of-age drama/comedy). I’m currently writing a YA Crossover entitled Ratty Snickles.  All my books could easily fall into the category of cross-genre—breaking conventional rules, but offering variety and originality while maintaining a mainstream appeal.
4)      How long have you been writing? And who or what inspired you to write?
I’ve been writing for over twenty years.  On average, I write four to five hours a day every day. I wrote my first book, The Amulet, the Tome and the Prince of Saarbrucken when I was only eleven years-old.  Piers Anthony and Stephen King were early influences for me.  I love books and movies that offer a variety of elements and aren’t afraid to push out boundaries.
5)      Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I offer free paperback editions of my books to journalists, bloggers and lovers of books who write reviews.  In the next several months, all my books will be available to download as well.
6)      How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
I love developing a good title.  It should give you a taste of what’s to come without giving it all away.  (A lot like movie taglines!)
I’m fortunate to be working with friends and colleagues that have come out of Universal Pictures, photographers from world-class car auctioneer Gooding and Company, and several Hollywood film makers.  Much the way I’ve worked on developing movie posters (I’ve worked on films like Wolfman, Robin Hood, Fast Five, Little Fockers, Larry Crowne, Scott Pilgrm vs. the World, etc.), designing a book cover starts with brainstorming.  We share ideas, communicate concepts and create a design that stays true to the story while considering its target audience. 
After The Witch and the Devil’s Son book cover is redesigned, it will be rereleased and available at a discounted price on Kindle.  Dead AsleepOtherwise and Hummus for the Holidays will available at the same time.  
7)      Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Hummus for the Holidays is inspired by true events.  (Names and likenesses have been altered.)
8)      Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
Having been around books my whole life, I still love the feel of paper.  That said, I’m tech-savvy.  When I leave a movie script behind for a film company, it’s always on a flash drive, and I’ve read many books on my Kindle which is undeniably a convenient device.  As we become more technologically advanced, book stores might well be going the way of video and music stores and cease to exist.  E-books are paving the way for talented authors to offer more content that’s readily available.  Now that my books will be available to be downloaded instantly, I’ve become a champion of E-books.
9)      What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?
While I’ve had great love affairs with many books over the years, Audrey Niffenegger’s The Time Traveler’s Wife has remained one of my favorites.  (I’ve read it more than once.) Hailed a literary masterpiece by critics and fans, the book crosses genres, which is something I also like to do with my own stories.   Dead Asleep, like The Time Traveler’s Wife, uses the time travel device as a way of drawing out characters who want to overcome obstacles.     
10)  Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?
The key to making the leap from a great book to a great movie is understanding how to adapt a book into a screenplay.  I write original movie scripts and adapt my own novels for the big screen, so I know how difficult this task can be.  (Writing an original screenplay is much easier!) For me, Shawshank Redemption was one of the best translations from book to film.  It was originally a Stephen King novella entitled, “Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption,” which was a wonderful story. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings franchises have both been wonderful rides for movie-goers!
11)  Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I sprinkle romance and love throughout all my novels, but I’ve never read a romance novel cover to cover. (Then again, never say never!)
12)  What do you think about book trailers?
I’m a big fan of book trailers and any other type of media that allows consumers to get a feel of what’s to come.  (But no spoilers, please!) Promoting movies through trailers is old-hat.  It’s nice to see this become a vehicle for authors as well.  
13)  What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
I’ve always believed that no matter what hurdles you come across while writing, continue to write the story.  (Everyone has some type of obstacle along the way.) Don’t worry about the editing process.  Editing, which is crucial to achieve a polished product, is done after writing.  Therefore, don’t stop.  Write until it’s finished, then go back and edit.  And edit some more!
14)  Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I always write under Jennifer B. White—even for film.
15)  Where can readers follow you?
Blog:
Your blog details?
I’ve just started blogging about Hollywood, the literary world, my books, characters and everyday life.  I encourage writers to be a guest on my blog.  I’m also delighted to be featured on Book Reviewers and Writers blogs as well.
Your website ?
Your facebook page?

Your Goodreads author page?
Readers can find me on Goodreads under Jennifer B White)

Your Twitter details?
Follow me on Twitter at:  @nakedhollywood  (Jennifer B. White)



THE WITCH AND THE DEVIL’S SON (paper back, 2nd edition)


THE WITCH AND THE DEVIL’S SON (Kindle version)


No comments:

Post a Comment