Saturday 14 January 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JEFF W HORTON





What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
                My name is Jeff W. Horton. I was born in Grand Forks, ND, in the United States. I still  live in the United States, though I now reside in North Carolina .

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
                Looking back, I've always enjoyed writing, particularly creative writing, but I never really imagined myself as an author.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
                I guess I first began thinking of myself as an author after finishing the draft of my first published novel, The Great Collapse, a few years ago.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
                I think it probably took somewhere between six months to a year to get The Great Collapse published, though it seemed like it took much longer.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
                I currently have another career, though like most every other author it is my hope that one day I can make enough money writing that I can afford to do it full-time.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
                The Last Prophet is an apocalyptic novel about the End of Days, based on the book of Revelation.


Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
                My last two novels, The Dark Age-Survivors of the Pulse, and The Last Prophet, were published by World Castle Publishing.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
                Not counting re-writes, it generally takes me between three to six months to get a draft completed, depending of    course on how much time I have to work on it.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
                I think The Last Prophet was probably one of the toughest for me to write. As a devout Christian, I wanted to be very careful that I didn’t cross any lines that I shouldn’t cross. I wanted to write an interesting, Christian Fiction novel about one of the best paranormal stories ever told, the end times and the return of Jesus Christ..  
             
What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
                I plan to continue writing thrillers, though they may not all be apocalyptic thrillers. I may occasionally also step into other genres., including the occasional non-fiction book.

  Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
                   I have been working on a children's book, which might become part of a series. It's tentatively entitled The Way of Nacor, Part I of the Tales of Eden series. After that, I have another futuristic thriller planned, about cyber warfare.

 What genre would you place your books into?
                I tend to refer to them as apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic thrillers, written with a Christian world-view.

 What made you decide to write that genre of book?
                I just fell into it really, except for The Last Prophet. I've long wanted to write a book about Revelation.

 Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
                Not really. I like The Great Collapse because it was my first novel, 



The Dark Age because it's fun and it offers hope for the future,

and The Last Prophet, because it is a story about something that's very important to me.

  Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
                 Kraken, a character from my second novel, The Dark Age, is definitely one of my favorite antagonists. He is about as nasty and colorful as they come.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
                Another tough question! Few of my characters have it very easy. I suppose I might like to be one of my protagonists, like Conrad Simmons from The Great Collapse, Ferrell Young from The Dark Age, or John March from The Last Prophet.

 How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
                I've been writing for about four to five years.  I decided to try my hand at writing because I really enjoy the creative process that goes along with creating a new world. The characters, the action, the setting; the story tends to unfold on its own accord, each component taking on a life of its own, going in directions I never anticipated.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
                The inspiration for my writing comes from a variety of sources, including important events in history, the present,   and anticipated events in the future.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
                I tend to do a lot of writing late or on weekends and holidays, times when the kids are in bed and I can focus on that inner-world that is unfolding in my mind.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
                I do. My son has been extraordinarily helpful, as has my aunt, who is now also an editor. Both have been so encouraging and beneficial to me in my effort to get great stories out and on the bookshelves.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
                I have on occasion given books away for reviews, promotions, etc, to individuals and professional reviewing organizations like Midwest Book Review and Reader's Favorite, both of which have been extraordinarily kind to me in the reviews.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
                I have so far. I try to learn from all of them, taking away whatever I can in order to grow as a novelist.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
                I think one of the best reviews I've had so far came from Reader's Favorite after they reviewed The Last Prophet. They awarded The Last Prophet a five-star rating as well as a glowing review. 
                        
Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
                No, of course not. While I always hope that the reviewer will say good things about my work, it is their opinion and the reviewer is certainly entitled to it. Of course I always appreciate it when the novel gets a fair shake from the reviewer.

 How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
                While I generally have ideas for the titles and the cover, it’s usually a process involving me and the publisher's cover designers working together.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
                Great question! I generally come up with the premise and the title about the same time.

How do you market/promote your books?
                I do book signings, give interviews (radio, television, blogs, etc), as well as book tours, and a presence on Facebook, Twitter, my website, Goodreads giveaways, etc.

  What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
                A New York literary agent, Donald Maas, has written a great book called "Writing the Breakout Novel". I believe a   great story is one of the most important components, followed closely by getting the word out about the novel and the author so potential readers are exposed to both.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
                I really haven’t suffered from writer's block. When I occasionally get "stuck" on something, I usually think on it and solicit suggestions from friends or/family.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
                Writing really helps me relax!  I also find lying on a quiet, peaceful beach to be extremely beneficial.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
                I have certainly taken people and events in my life which I would then shape or mold the character into whatever I needed.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
                Yes. Like most novelists, there are messages in each of my books that I hope others will find helpful!

 Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
                There were several authors that have really influenced me. Dickens, Doyle, Wells, Clancy, Creighton, Augustine, all have been instrumental.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
                I don't really have a  preference. I don’t own a reader.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
                I loved to read HG Wells over and over. I have read some of them twice.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
                I do believe that most books transfer very well to movies. I felt like The Lord of the Rings was a great transfer, whereas The Sum of All Fears, while still a good movie, made a mistake by trying to be politically correct by   changing the antagonists from Islamic terrorists to domestic terrorists.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
                I'm currently reading a paperback copy of Moby Dick. I've enjoyed parts of it very much, though on occasion Melville included (arguably) a good deal more facts and figures than was really necessary for the novel o flow well. That being said, I would  certainly rate it a four or five-star rating, based on what I've read so far.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
                No, I don’t think paper books will ever totally go away, at least not in my generation, though I do believe eBooks will continue to surpass paper. It is conceivable, perhaps even likely that one day, almost all books will be eBooks.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
                No, not really. I believe there are so many distractions these days that we just don’t take enough time to read, or to encourage our children to read. Instead of feeding them on a healthy diet of novels and encyclopedias, we have become addicted to literary junk food in the form of television, the Internet,  and ninety-minute movies.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
                I did read a lot growing up, everything from the Bible to Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jules Verne, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and J.R.R. Tolkien. Writing however was something I only became serious about a few years ago.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
                I'll probably never read the Da Vinci Code. Just not my cup of tea based on what I know of the novel.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
                I'd do everything I could to make them even better novels!.

What do you think about book trailers?
                I like them. You can get a quick snapshot of the premise in the novel in a short period of time.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
                Be persistent. If you enjoy writing, if you write even when everyone tells you should move on, when you aren’t making enough money in a month to buy a decent dinner for two yet you continue to write, then you are a writer.Seek out other, more experienced writers, connect with bloggers, find a great editor or someone that can help with proofreading, and above all, grow a thick skin. You'll probably see harsh reviews about your work from time to time, just look beyond it and keep going.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
                I haven’t yet but I have considered it, mainly for a non-fiction book I've been contemplating.

Where can readers follow you?

Author Information:
Website:                                www.hortonlibrary.com
Email:                    jeff@hortonlibrary.com
Twitter:                  http://twitter.com/#!/Jeff_Horton
Bookblogs             http://bookblogs.ning.com/profile/JeffHorton


I'd just like to say Thankyou for taking the time to take part in this Interview Jeff, and I look forward to reading more of your books.

Would you like to read one of Jeff's books for FREE?
Then take a look at this link http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Prophet-ebook/dp/B005EH634G/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1326423814&sr=1-1 Jeff's book the Last Prophet is free on Saturday and Sunday this week 14th  & 15th January.


Would you believe it if someone told you that you were one of the last two prophets mentioned in the book of Revelation? 
It is the End of Days. The power of the Antichrist and his grip on humanity grows stronger with each passing day, enabling him to deceive the world and entice humanity into joining him in his corruption, and in his eternal punishment. With the help of the False Prophet, the Beast persuades many to fall down and worship him, also forcing them to take his mark. 
When someone tells John March that he has been chosen by God to become the last of the two prophets mentioned in the book of Revelation, he doesn’t believe it. After a visitation by an angel followed by a miraculous sign however, he becomes convinced that it is true and decides to embrace his calling, despite learning that doing so will lead to his untimely death. March begins his mission by proclaiming God's message: that the End of Days is at hand, to beware the growing power and influence of the Beast, and to know that the Second Coming of Jesus Christ is imminent. 
Supernatural disasters, including a worldwide drought, rivers of blood, massive earthquakes, and a devastating asteroid, testify that the end of the world is at hand. 
Join John March on his journey to becoming, The Last Prophet.

No comments:

Post a Comment