Friday 27 April 2012

DARKNESS & LIGHT BY J.A. BELFIELD



BLURB from Goodreads
Jem Stonehouse, a housewife with a neurotic husband bent on keeping her in line, dreams about werewolves in, what she believes, is a bid to escape boredom.

Sean Holloway is a werewolf, living a charade within the human race, whose mind drifts to a bond he shares with a woman he hasn't met--at least, not in this lifetime.

Apart, the two are safe but live unfulfilled lives.

Together, they'll become prey to rival packs just as they have been for hundreds of years.

When their worlds collide, and not for the first time, instinct takes over. Dreams become reality. Futures are uncertain. To keep history from repeating itself, Sean must teach Jem about his heritage, convince her of her role, and win her love.

Can Jem accept her destiny before it's too late, or is her inner wolf buried too deep to save her future with Sean?



MY REVIEW
Oh Wow! I never thought I would say I had found another series of books as good as the Rachel Vincent Shifter Series, or Dee Tenorio's Resurrection Series or Kelley Armstrong's Women Of The Otherworld Series but The Holloway Pack Series well and truly lives up to their standard and at time surpasses them!
I loved the historical element in the book. It's difficult to say more without giving spoliers which I refuse to do! The same historical element is dealt with in Instinct, so if you have read that you will totally know what I mean!
I thought the relationship between Jem and Peter was very realistic and portrayed really well. The domestic violence was depicted well without being over the top. As someone who has both seen and also experienced domestic violence I can vouch for Jem's behaviour and her feelings being so realistic. I loved the way her friend, Poppy and then of course Sean rescued her. (Where was my "Sean" when I needed one?! )
The relationship between Sean and Jem is *sigh* beautifully written, you feel that they are besotted with each other , that they are soul mates and meant to be together.
The wording in the book and how it is written draws you in, you feel like you are in the midst of the action rather than being a watcher from the sidelines. You really become involved with the book. You certainly don't want to put it down! Twice I found myself reading J. A. Belfield books at 1am in the morning!
I would say *warning* this book is for adults or very mature teens that is down to the domestic violence and the er....bit of bedroom action between Sean and Jem. having said that it really is no more than the teens are watching on tv these days and I do believe teens need to be more educated about such subjects as domestic violence anyway.
One section of the book stands out to me as being true in real life too, I hope J. A. Belfield doesn't mind me sharing it with you all in my review.
"Fate and destiny go hand in hand. It is impossible to change our destiny. Only the path upon which we walk to reach our destination alters. If we should stray from that path, fate will take control and guide us in the right direction."
The above quote fits in with what happens in the book with Jem and Sean but I think it's relevant to the reader in real life also. What a beautiful quote.
I like the cover as it represents the dark and light in Jem's life, as well as her dark night dreaming and her daylight hours.
So did I enjoy the book? A definite Yes! Would I recommend? To the correct age group or maturer teen then yes. Would I read more by J. A. Belfield? Yes there will be more reviews of her books to come for sure!

Available at Amazon.co.uk





 

No comments:

Post a Comment