Monday 25 June 2012

ONE MOMENT BY KRISTINA MCBRIDE



ISBN: 9781606840863
Publisher: Egmont
Pages: 272
Formats Available: Hardback, Kindle


BLURB from Goodreads
This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie’s life. Now it’s the one she’d do anything to forget.

Maggie Reynolds remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party the night before. She remembers climbing the trail hand in hand with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can’t she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below—dead?


As Maggie’s memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?

The latest novel from the author of The Tension of OppositesOne Moment is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.


MY REVIEW
I received this e-book from Netgalley for review.
I love the cover, the feeling of tranquillity it suggests to you, the foot just dipping in the water. The picture on the cover will become more relevant to you when you have read the book.
I really did enjoy this book, in fact I actually read it in one go! I didn't want to put it down, I had to know if Maggie would ever get any sense of closure and be able to move on with her life.
The whole group of friends was realistic of today's teenage generation as was the snide bitchy remarks that Shannon always made even though they were all supposed to be friends. I have to say of all the characters the two i liked the least were Shannon, she seemed so nasty, and probably Pete but I think that was more to do with the fact he wasn't mentioned or as active in the plot as much as the other teenage characters were. 
The book was like a voyage of discovery finding out who was lying and what was going on and then when everything is fitted together at the end you realise that there were so many clues given to you by the author, Kristina along the way. 
The book reminded me a little of Read Me Dead by Emerald Barnes in how I felt when I read it. It's difficult to say a great deal more about the book without giving away the plot. I will say things and people are not always as they seem. I also enjoyed Maggie's sessions with the psychiatrist even though initially she didn't want to go, she did eventually find the sessions most helpful. They helped Maggie get everything into a perspective, and to deal with memories or lack of them slowly at her own pace.
I also loved the significance of the quilt. The quilt was like life, not always full of good sparkly things, sometime we have to take the bad and ugly things too, just like the quilt some of the squares are beautiful, satins, with beautiful memories to match, others are connected to bad memories like the square of black material form Maggie's grandmothers dress that she wore to her husbands funeral. Even the quilt getting ripped has significance, the suggestion that like the quilt Maggie could be "repaired".
So Did I enjoy the book? Yes, loved it. Would I recommend it? Yes, I would compare it to Read Me Dead by Emerald Barnes, and In Leah's Wake by Terri Guilanno Long. Would I read more by Kristina McBride? Definitely!

Available from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment