Friday 5 October 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - HARRY STEINMAN



What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Harry Steinman. Born in New Haven, CT, and live just outside of Boston, Massachusetts.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Not sure about ‘always’, but I always enjoyed writing. My father and I would enjoy conversations about words and their meanings. When I was a child, he reminisced about the pleasure he took in rewriting sentences until each one was like a bikini: something covered the vital territory with as little material as possible. I thought that editing a sentence was about the coolest thing.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
High School

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Well, I created my own imprint and publishing company, so you could say that I had an in with the editor.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
As I move further into the publishing and marketing tasks, I’ve neglected my income-producing activities. Thank heavens for a most loving wife! And thrift stores.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Little Deadly Things. “Nanotechnology made Eva Rozen the world’s wealthiest woman. Rage made her the deadliest.”

Do you have a "lucky charm" or "lucky routine" you follow when waiting for your book to be accepted by a publisher?
No. I like to keep my head down and use it as a battering ram on any obstacle.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
Little Deadly Things is a futuristic thriller with a lot of soul. I think of All Dead Generations as both a future and historical fiction. I want to move the story forward and look backwards to the development of the characters in LDT.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Yes. All Dead Generations picks up where LDT ends. It continues the examination of childhood trauma in the lives of adults.

What genre would you place your books into?
Thriller or sci-fi. And, heavens willing, Oprah Recommended Reading.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I didn’t decide anything. That’s what came out of my veins.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
My favorite character is the main character, Eva Rozen. She’s brilliant and psychotic. I love her. She gets to do the things I fantasized doing when I was an angry child.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
My father inspired me. When I was young, he used to make me write compostions. We’d write in the bathroom. I’d sit on the toilet, lid down, and write on a three-legged, pale blue stool. I wish I’d asked him why he chose that particular venue.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
Ideas are easy. getting them down on paper? Not so much.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
Very much so. I take Stephen King’s advice from, “On Writing” and meet my muse at a particular time every day. I get up between 4 and 5 am and write. I play classical music, mostly Bach, and I’m off to the races.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
Once I finished the draft and a read-through-and-edit, the ms went to my wife and then other early readers.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
No. I’ll provide ARCs to reviewers.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
I will, once I get ‘em!

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
Anything from my wife.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
I don’t anticipate doing that unless there’s an error of fact.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
The title popped out of my head. I have a cover designer.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Title appeared mid-way through the first draft. Title for the next book came to me while editing LDT. I want to continue the theme of looking at what happens to children in abusive families and came across a quote from Karl Marx, “The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living.”

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
I don’t think I do a really good job with that.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
I’m kind of a seat-of-the-pants writer. I have a general idea about the character. Then I see what happens in the telling of the tale.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
If I don’t stop writing, I don’t get writer’s block.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Oh, yes.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
I think that a story would be as empty as a recipe without a subtext.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
Several. Mark Helprin. Stephen King. Lee Child. And anyone that I’m reading at the time I’m writing.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
Yes!

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
Probably Dune, because it’s a helluva great read. Read it about 15 times.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Not usually. Two different media. Books prompt the reader to visualize; movies provide that. Best book-to-movie was the LOTR series. Worst? Dune.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
Reading a collection of stories by Nancy Kress in hardback that I borrowed from the Library. A few books on science. Dogs. I love mysteries and thrillers.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
Nope.

Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
If I had a century, I’d revise it another 15000 times. Just can’t leave well enough alone.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Keep writing.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
Nope and nope.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Stephen King, John Irvine and Julian May. Just talk about anything in the world.

Where can readers follow you?

Your Web site?  www.littledeadlythings.com 

Your Facebook page? Harry Steinman and Little Deadly Things 

Thank you Harry for taking the time to take part in this Interview for my blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment