Friday 28 December 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - SARAH DICELLO

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?

That would have to be when I got my first review from a blogger who really loved my first book, "As I Close My Eyes". She said that I was her new favourite author. That was the moment I went, "I just wrote a book and someone liked it. I can say I do this now."

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Yes. I actually publish magazines for about nineteen associations in Pennsylvania. But believe me when I say that getting published as a young adult novelist was no walk in the park and working as a magazine publisher didn't help at all. I have absolutely no connections to the book publishing world so it took a lot of hard work and even more dedication. I actually gave up at one point and thought I'd never get published. It seemed like such an unattainable dream to me.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
It's "As I Wake" and it is the sequel to "As I Close My Eyes." 20 words or less...hmm...it's a little bit historical, a little more romance, and a lot of time travel.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
Taylor Street Publishing in San Francisco, California.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
It varies. My first one took me forever because I really had no idea what I was doing. I wrote like my high school English teacher taught me - in a stream of consciousness without any regard to punctuation or grammar. Then I went back and revised and revised and revised some more. It took me about a year. For my sequel, I knew the general idea when writing my first novel so it came to me a lot faster. I started writing it in August and finished three months later.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I actually have an idea in a totally different genre but I don't know if I'll ever do it because I'm so comfortable writing young adult novels.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
When I'm not telling my two daughters to "leave mommy alone. I'm writing," I'm sitting quietly at my dining room table with my laptop. Ideally, I'd love to seclude myself to a hotel room or cabin in the woods. Actually, even better, at the beach. But a) hotel rooms cost money, b) I don't own a cabin, and c) I don't have any friends or family to mooch off of while staying at their beach house.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
Absolutely. I think every writer should.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Every single word. I like to get feedback from readers and really take their comments to heart.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
No. It's someone's opinion and I want honest reviews.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
My good friend Heather Moreland designed the cover and inside pages of "As I Wake." She also did the cover for my first book. I don't know what I'd do without her.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I always write the book then choose the title.

What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby?
Watch excessive amounts of The Real Housewives of anywhere with a glass of wine in hand.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
Definitely Stephanie Meyer. I loved her Twilight series.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Sometimes. I thought "Water for Elephants" and "The Help" both transferred well. "Time Traveler's Wife" was a huge disappointment for me in film.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
I'd only invite two. Stephanie Meyer and J.K. Rowling.

Where can readers follow you?

On my Facebook page at
www.facebook.com/sarahdicelloauthor 

Your blog details?

Your web site ?

Your facebook page?

Your Goodreads author page?

Your Twitter details?
@sdicello






No comments:

Post a Comment