Sunday 30 December 2012

FARFALLA - A STORY OF LOSS AND HOPE BY STORY BY VANITA OELSCHLAGER AND ARTWORK BY KRISTIN BLACKWORD

ISBN: 9780983290407
Publisher: Vanita Books
Pages: 40
Formats Available: Hardcover

BLURB from Goodreads
Farfalla (the Italian word for “butterfly”) is a unique look at the death of an unborn child. This subject necessarily must be approached with a high degree of sensitivity. Yet, trying to understand the death of a sister- or brother-to-be is also not an unknown experience faced by many children. Adults struggle to explain how the gift of life can be taken away, sometimes without rhyme or reason. Inspired by experiences of the author’s friends, Farfalla offers a way for adults to have that conversation with children.

MY REVIEW
I initially was given a copy of this book on Netgalley, however as due to a medical condition I am unable to read on a computer for any decent length of time I was unable to read the book. I e-mailed the publishers and explained I thought the book a great idea etc and let them know I was unable to read and review the book and they kindly and generously sent me a physical copy of the book.
So Farfalla: A Story Of Loss And Hope, is as it says in it's title the story of a miscarriage which is literally a story of loss and hope, and an extremely emotional time in your life. Then if you have children already you have to find a way of explaining in simple understandable terms that do not scare them. You have to do all this explaining when you are in a very emotional state yourself as you try to come to terms with what has happened. The word "Farfalla" actually means butterfly so what better way to explain tan the story of a caterpillar who fails to emerge from the cocoon to become a butterfly.
The book is a large hardback book, with beautiful illustrations throughout. It is a beautiful book to be kept and treasured. The subject of the book is miscarriage and how to explain it to a young child. The story is told using a caterpillar and butterfly as the baby. It is beautifully told in a simplistic yet poignant way. I think the book could be kept by the child being told about the miscarriage as a keepsake of the brother or sister that was not meant to be. I think it is a brilliant and innovative way to explain a complex and emotional subject to a young child.
As someone that has gone through a miscarriage at 22.5 weeks into my pregnancy, I am aware of the sensitivity around the subject, all to often in my opinion the miscarriage is brushed aside and not explained or spoken about. I think this book will also give the parents a beautiful way to think of their miscarried child. I have never seen other books that deal with this subject, and think it a fantastic idea.
So did I enjoy? Enjoy is probably the wrong word, I thought the book innovative, and thought it dealt with miscarriage very well, in a simplistic, yet compassionate, respectful way. I think the book also provides a way of remembering the miscarried child too.
Would I recommend the book? I would definitely recommend yes.

Available from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment