Sunday 16 June 2013

GUEST POST - STEAMPUNK IS COOL BY TRISHA WOLFE


Steampunk is Cool 
by 
Trisha Wolfe

Want to first give a big thanks to Sandra of JeanzBookReadNReview for inviting me to this event! Thanks, girl. Now, let’s see. I suppose I write Steampunk, or elements of the sub-genre, in most of my books because…it’s just cool. There’s no other significant or meaningful reason as to why I love it so much. I just do.
Steampunk is all about the “what if”. What if a magical, fire-wielding race could change the course of history, shaping the future with their power? What would that world look like? How would it operate? Those are the questions I asked myself before I started writing Destiny’s Fire. All genres of Fantasy and Science Fiction begin with the “what if” question, for the most part, and I think the infinite possibilities to answer that question is why I will forever be a die-hard Fantasy girl. It’s limitless.
I’m not one who was ever able to choose only one thing. One genre of music. One hair color. One flavor of ice cream…though actually, that one is pretty easy: chocolate. Don’t argue. You know it’s the best. So it makes sense why I could never strictly adhere to writing only in one genre. Being able to layer and mix different sub-genres in order to create something different and original is why I love writing. The freedom. And when all those intricate parts are weaved and connected together to make something bigger and fantastical, I actually get goose bumps.
In Destiny’s Fire, the Narcolym wield Flame, and the world (their world) functions much like ours, only everything is powered by Flame, through steam devices. It’s pretty easy and logical, really. It’s so perfect that it needs a problem, a conflict. Enter the Shythe, the Narcolyms’ exact opposite and a race that will challenge not only them, but the entirety of civilization. Having external conflict as well internal for our MC to grapple with gives a novel more tension, and that’s good. You never want your readers getting too cozy in any scene. Keep shaking it up.
This wasn’t supposed to be a writing lesson, but I think it’s hard to separate thoughts on Steampunk and writing, at least for me. They go hand-in-hand. The point is, Steampunk is so cool and so much…well, just more. There’s no end to the possibilities to where it can go. Every day I search out new novels and writers of the genre because I can’t get enough, and as excited as I am about my next project, I love losing myself within others’ worlds and their creations. Limitless and fantastical. Fantasy for the win.


I’m the author of the YA Steampunk DESTINY'S FIRE (Omnific Publishing), ASTARTE'S WRATH NA Historical/Supernatural, NA Dark Fantasy OF SILVER AND BEASTS, and the upcoming YA Utopian FIREBLOOD from Spencer Hill Press, November 2013.

I’m the creator of YA Bound, a promotional site for the Young Adult genre. Also a member of SCWW and The Apocalypsies.

A proud business owner, I'm partnered with my partner, my husband. When I’m not busy doing all of the above, I’m a wife and the mother of a gorgeous teen boy who's the sounding board for my male characters.


Check out my website at www.TrishaWolfe.com for more on my books and bonus material. Follow me on Twitter @TrishWolfe and my Facebook page for updates on all things book boys and writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment