Saturday 6 September 2014

PROMOTIONAL SPOTLIGHT & AUTHOR INTERVIEW - AGE OF IRON - IRON AGE BY ANGUS WATSON


Bloodthirsty druids and battle-hardened Iron Age warriors collide in the biggest epic fantasy debut release of 2014.

Title: Age Of Iron
Series: Iron Age
Author: Angus Watson
Publisher: Orbit
Release Date: 9th September 2014

BLURB from Goodreads

LEGENDS AREN'T BORN. THEY'RE FORGED.

Dug Sealskinner is a down-on-his-luck mercenary travelling south to join up with King Zadar's army. But he keeps rescuing the wrong people. 

First, Spring, a child he finds scavenging on the battlefield, and then Lowa, one of Zadar's most fearsome warriors, who's vowed revenge on the king for her sister's execution. 

Now Dug's on the wrong side of that thousands-strong army he hoped to join ­- and worse, Zadar has bloodthirsty druid magic on his side. All Dug has is his war hammer, one rescued child and one unpredictable, highly-trained warrior with a lust for revenge that's going to get them all killed . . . 

It's a glorious day to die.

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I’ve always thought I was pretty good at writing. It was why I did well in essay based exams at school and university even though I never knew much. One day though, about twelve years ago, I was in the Atlas pub in Fulham, London when I got a phone call from the Evening Standard newspaper, telling me that they were going to pay for and publish an article I’d sent to them. That began a decade long career as a freelance features writer and I guess was the moment I became a “writer”.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
I decide them afterwards for the most part, and often change them during edits.

Do you decide on character traits before writing the whole book or as you go along?
For the main characters it’s before I write the whole book. For the minor ones, I make them up as I go along. As I create more and more of them and use up all the characters in my head, a minor character these days is likely to be based on someone I bumped into the evening before, a person I met dog-walking in the park that morning or something similar.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I start with an overarching plan, then plan each section in detail as I go along. Then I often deviate from plans, which is why I only make detailed plans bit by bit.

If you could invite three favorite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Can they be dead? If so, it would be Homer, Julius Caesar and the Venerable Bede. I’m more interested in ancient history than the writing process. If not, I’d have right wing ranter Jeremy Clarkson, left wing whinger Owen Jones and Florida crime / humour writer Carl Hiaasen. I’d sit back with the very funny Mr Hiaasen listening to his tales while we watched the other two fight.



I'd also like to wish the publisher's ORBIT 
HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment