Saturday 26 September 2015

PROMOTION - WISDOM FROM THE WEB BY C.A. BROADRIBB

Title: Wisdom From The Web
Author: C.A. Broadribb
Release Date: 8th October 2014

BLURB supplied by author
Introspective Iva, Dramatic Damien, Happy Hannah, Stressed Stewart, Ditzy Diana and others present over 200 of the search engine's funniest, most profound and most bizarre auto-complete suggestions, commenting on various aspects of life such as romance, work, hobbies etc.


PURCHASE LINKS

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? My name is C. A. Broadribb.  I was born in Perth, Western Australia but have been living in Sydney, NSW for a long time.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Yes, but I also had an interest in computer programming since I was a teenager and I worked as a programmer for a while.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
While I was studying an MA in Professional Writing I did a subject called the Novel Writing Project where I had to write the draft of a 30,000+ word novella.  I wrote 'Nice Day For a Murder'.  It felt like quite an achievement.  Once I'd revised it and self-published it and saw my name listed on websites next to established Australian authors, I felt like I was a real writer.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
I spent some time editing and revising it then contact a self-publishing business the following year and arranged to have it published.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Of course.  I've worked in a number of different jobs over the years.  Right now I'm an Internet Assessor and also do some editing\proofreading work.  Sometimes I do some research or writing tasks for other people.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
'Wisdom From the Web'.  A collection of funny auto-complete suggestions from the world's largest search engine, grouped by topic, with funny commentary.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
I've self-published in hard copy through Salmat and self-published ebooks though Amazon and Smashwords.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
A very long time, especially since I do other things too, such as work that I know for a fact that I'm going to get paid for.  I've been working on a full-length novel off and on since 2003.  I'm sure I'll get it finished sometime...

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
I wrote a short book called 'I Tied an Onion to my Belt' and published it as a free ebook on Smashwords.  It was easy to write because it's very short and simple.  It's a collection of funny search engine auto-complete results so it's on the same lines as 'Wisdom From the Web'.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I intend to finish the novel I've been working on since 2003, which is a humorous detective novel.  I'm thinking of writing a sci-fi novel some day, a longer version of a short story called 'R0:0' that I had published in a literary magazine.

What genre would you place your books into?
Humour ('Wisdom From the Web' and 'I Tied an Onion to my Belt'), crime fiction ('Nice Day For a Murder'), children's fiction ('Sarah's Adventure').  I'm also going to put out ebook anthologies of my short stories soon.  They're a variety of genres, including sci-fi.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
I self-published a children's book called 'Sarah's Adventure' (as hard-copy and an ebook).  While it isn't the best-written book in the world, it means something to me because it was my first attempt at writing a novel.  I started it during the last year of high school.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
I like 'Introspective Iva' from 'Wisdom From the Web' because she's intelligent, introspective and quirky, like myself.  (On the other hand, she smokes and I've never smoked in my life.)

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I've been writing on and off since I was six years old.  I have a photo of a little story that I scribbled on a blackboard at home when I was six.  Later on, when I was in primary school, I had a teacher called Lance who loved my stories and encouraged me to write.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?
All over the place.  Things I see, things people say, things I read or see on TV etc.  I gradually develop a plot over time.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I usually hand-write a draft then edit and revise it as I type it up on the computer.  Apart from that, I don't have any routines.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books? Yes.  It's interesting seeing what people think about them.  Different people have different perspectives or pick up on different points.  With 'Wisdom From the Web', for example, some people have said that it's really funny and others have found it more interesting reading about what sorts of questions people ask search engines.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
The best review I've had is when someone who read 'Wisdom From the Web' said that she'd enjoyed it and it had kept her buoyant during a bad week full of frustrations and disappointments.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
Of course not.  No reviewer would do that anyway.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Usually the latter.

Are character names and place names decided after there creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
I usually come up with the names first.  But sometimes I change them later.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
A bit of both.  I have ideas about characters before I start then develop them more as I go.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
I usually make it up as I go along, however, sometimes I try to be too clever and it becomes too complicated.  I'm revising the novel I've been working on since 2003 and this time I've working out the revised plot in detail before I start rewriting it.

How do you market/promote your books?
I've been advertising on social media and websites, ineffectively.  I'd be glad if someone could give me some tips.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
If I worry too much about making the plot logical and believable then I get stuck.  If I decide to just write anything then I can continue writing.

What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby?
Swimming, reading, movies, going for walks in parks etc.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
I've only ever based one character on a real person... I'll leave it to the readers to guess which one.  I've never based novels on real events.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I prefer reading paperbacks.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I'm reading a paperback murder mystery.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
I hope not, but they're obviously going to dominate the market.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
I've heard that sometimes school teachers don't even set books to read in English classes because kids won't read them.  Unbelievable.  They should be encouraged to read more, not less.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I read a lot when I was a kid, but I preferred the books that I read at home for fun to the gloomy books about serious, important social issues that I was asked to read at school.  I wrote lots of stories in primary school, especially during grades 6 and 7 when I had a teacher that encouraged it.  (I went to school in WA, remember?  Grade 7 is part of primary school there.)

Do you have a treasured book from your childhood? If yes, what is it?
I have an old copy of 'Alice in Wonderland'.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
I like a variety of popular, plot-driven novels.  Anything but horror.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Try a variety of different genres, styles, lengths etc.  Send your work to a variety of different publications.

Where can readers follow you?


Other:  http://spiky_one.tripod.com

No comments:

Post a Comment