Sunday 29 November 2015

REVIEW - SECRET GARDEN - ARTISTS EDITION BY JOHANNA BASFORD

Are you looking for the perfect gift for an artistic person in your life?
Then check this out, it may be exactly what you are looking for!

Title: Secret Garden
Edition: The Artists Edition
Author/Illustrator: Johanna Basford
Genre: Non Fiction, Colouring Books
Publisher: Laurence King Publishers
Release Date: 7th September 2015

About The Book
Following the chart topping success of Johanna Basford's Secret Garden and Enchanted Forest, Laurence King Publishing releases Secret Garden: Artists Edition, A special edition of the world's most popular colouring book, it features 20 beautiful, pull out and frame posters, each printed onto high-quality card. Secret Garden Artists Edition will allow colouring fans of all ages to display their intricate creations beyond the pages of their colouring book for the first time.


PURCHASE LINKS
Amazon UK

PRAISE ABOUT THE BOOK
"One of the world's most popular authors" ~ New York Times
"Single-handedly inventing the most lucrative new genre in publishing" ~ The Times
"Scottish illustrator Johanna Basford is topping the charts" ~ The Guardian

"A surprise hit world-wide" ~ The Telegraph


INITIAL THOUGHTS
I was quite surprised to be sent an email from Midas PR asking me if I'd like to review this book. To be totally truthful I wasn't even sure how I would go about reviewing a colouring book, however after speaking to Midas PR I decided I should give it a go. 

MY REVIEW
So I guess most people will have heard of the whole adult colouring craze but this book is a little bit extra special. This beautifully presented book has thick high quality cream sheets of card each measuring, 10" x 13" / 25.5cm x 33cm / 255mm x 330mm. (I have measured them myslef) The 20 images for you to colour in and then frame actually come from the original book. The fantastic thing about the thickness of the card is that you can use whatever types of pens etc you wish to colour in your chosen illustration without the worry of it thinning the paper or bleeding into the paper making it weak, or of the colour seeping through the paper onto the next image either.
The 20 illustrations are so attractive you really will be spoilt for choice. As my 19yr old saw the image of the owl she immediately claimed that one, so when she has finished it I am hoping to frame that one for some artwork in my bedroom. I finally chose one design to begin to colour, 

I chose one with a watering can with a wide selection of a delicate assortment of flowers, petals and leaves cascading from the watering can.

The first illustration in the totally fits with the title of the book "Secret Garden" as there is an old fashioned door with elaborate door hinges on it. The door is set into a wall, which has flowers and foliage growing all around it representing the title of the book perfectly.. 
The details within the images are so intricate and amazing. The paper. . .well it isn't paper it is a what I would say is a high quality thick card. There is even a small flower logo on the back of each card.
The other images in the book contain birds such as a kingfisher, owls, butterflies, dragon flies, bee's as well as a huge array of flowers, petals, and leaves. Honestly every time you look at the illustrations you discover something else new. I just glanced across at the cover of the book and a little snail that I hadn't really noticed before caught my eye!
So what do I think to the book? I love it. Would I recommend the book? I really think this colouring book would make a brilliant gift for an older teen or adult who enjoys the art and intricacies of colouring along with some appropriately high quality pens or pencils with it too of course! Or maybe you need a treat for yourself. Would I buy another colouring book by Johanna Basford? Oh yes her illustrations are so beautifully detailed. Will I buy other colouring books? I already has as gifts and for my own use too.

No comments:

Post a Comment