Sunday 12 June 2016

SERIES PROMOTION - UNFORSEEN BEINGS BY N.L. JOHNSON

Title: Lilith's Garden Of Madness
Series: Unforeseen Beings
Author: N.L. Johnson
Release Date: May 2016

BLURB from Goodreads
Hidden away behind the doors of Kelton Mental Institution is a power unlike any the world has ever experienced. It has been locked away for so long that many no longer believe it exist. That was until Hannah finds it down the South Hall of Kelton. But should it have been found or forgotten along with the remainder of the "untreatables". What Kelton kept locked away is only a taste of what is to come as a completely unknown world of angels, demons and the unforeseen beings, opens up or rather wakes up with the release of Room 102.


Title: Lilith's Garden Of Clarity
Series: Unforeseen Beings
Author: N.L. Johnson
Release Date: May 2016

BLURB from Goodreads
The world of the patient locked in Room 102 is falling apart as she knew it. While searching for Hannah and trying to figure out how she will save the former young Kelton nurse, she begins to discover what she can do but will she ever figure out who she really is? With the help of others at Kelton, the patient once forgotten will unlock more answers and even more questions. Enter back through the doors of Kelton Mental Institution and continue to uncover the truth of what has been hidden away down the South Hall of untreatables. Join the madness. 

Goodreads Link
Amazon US
Amazon UK


AUTHOR INTERVIEW

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
 My name is Nikole Johnson but I write under the pen name, N.L Johnson.  I was born in Georgia and currently live in Eastman, Georgia.   

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be? 
 Not really, I’ve always enjoyed writing but I never imagined that I would become author. 

Do you work another job as well as your writing work? 
 Yes, I’m a full time nurse.  Unfortunately, I only get to write on my days off and after work if I’m not completely exhausted.   Maybe, one day, I’ll be able to flip it around and be full-time writer and part time nurse!

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
 I’m self-published.  I actually never tried to send my novella series to a traditional publishing house.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
 The first book in the novella series Unforeseen Beings, Lilith’s Garden of Madness, started out as a full length novel that I worked on periodically over a time frame of four years.  The book was such a mess from starting then stopping for extended periods that I had decided not to publish it.  Then I thought about trying something different.  I pulled parts of the book to keep but pretty much trashed most of the original work and came up with the current novella for Lilith’s Garden of Madness.  The second novella, Lilith’s Garden of Clarity, took a little over two months and the third (which is still a rough, unpublished, unnamed, first draft) took less than three full days to write!  I’ve discovered that I write quickly but edit slowly.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre? 
I hope to complete the Unforeseen Beings novella series by the first of next year then jump into a couple other projects I have partially started.  Some are along the same genre as Unforeseen Beings but one in particular will be more appropriate for middle grade children and is more fantasy than dark paranormal. 

What genre would you place your books into? 
 This has been one of the most difficult questions I have to answer regarding Lilith’s Garden of Madness and the books in the Unforeseen Beings series.  It doesn’t fall into any one genre.  I guess, it’s a blend of paranormal, fantasy, mystical realism…?? 

Do you have a favorite character from your books? and why are they your favorite?
 Philip is my favorite at the moment.  He was a late addition to Lilith’s Garden of Madness but as the series develops, he has become a vital character.  He is also a character that I’m learning more and more about as I continue the story.  That is what I love about writing this series.  Like the readers, who are uncovering the mysteries surrounding the characters as they read the books, I’m discovering them as I write them.   I don’t know what is going to happen next in the story until I sit down at my computer. 

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair? 
 Music is a big part of my writing routine.  I have playlists for each character in my book.  If I’m working on a section for them, I click on their playlist and write away.

 Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
 I did not for Lilith’s Garden of Madness.  It wasn’t until after I published it that I had anyone I knew to read it.  Since then I have been lucky to have a few book bloggers and reviewers accept it to read and review.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? 
 I do!  I even try to gift books to people that probably won’t write a review because I’m a new author and I want readers!  Reviewers are great and I know I need them to push the book out to more people.  Ultimately though, I just want readers that will enjoy my books as much as I enjoy writing them. 

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
 Yes I do but it’s not like I have a ton to go through.  Maybe one day that will change but for now, I read each one!

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books? 
 No, I know that there will be people that will not connect with and enjoy my books.  I don’t like every book I’ve ever read and I don’t expect every person that reads my books to like them.  And I think negative reviews can be helpful to authors at times, it can help us to become better writers.  

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
 I wing it.  There was no real outline or plan for Unforeseen Beings novella series, other than I knew how I wanted to start the series and I know how it will end.  Everything in the middle has been created as I go. 

How do you market/promote your books?
 Marketing and promoting has been my big issue.  I’m doing my best to promote through social media (facebook and twitter) and I’m looking at possibly doing a few book signings locally.  For self-published authors, it’s difficult to get the word out for your book(s). 

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby? 
 Painting or drawing are my go to hobbies if I need time away from the computer screen.  I often sketch out my characters, occasionally I’ll post them online on my social media sites and blog.  If I need a complete creative break, I do my best to talk my husband into a quick trip to a natural spring.  We snorkel and free dive and there is nothing else that I’ve found that is more relaxing than diving those beautiful springs.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
 EBooks are great and normally more affordable but I still enjoy physical copies best, paperback or hardback.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
 There was probably not a day that went by while I was in school that I didn’t have a book in my hand.  I didn’t write any stories outside school assignments but I always loved reading.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer
 Don’t be afraid to put your work out there.  It’s terrifying to let people see what is essentially part of you on paper, I know and understand that feeling.  But as writers, we want our stories to be read.  That won’t happen if you don’t let the world see your creation.


Where can readers follow you?
Blog: https://nljohnsonblog.wordpress.com/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nljohnsonauthor/
Goodreads author page: https://www.goodreads.com/nljohnson
Twitter: @nljohnsonauthor
Amazon: amazon.com/author/nljohnson
Instagram:nikole.johnson

Other: n.l.johnson@outlook.com


No comments:

Post a Comment